Guest Post: European Style Raspberry Cheesecake
This post is also posted at No Freshman Fifteen. Ann-Catherin and I did a recipe swap for fun! I felt like you guys deserve more desserts around here. Isn’t it beautiful?! Give her some love over there!
This cheesecake makes me nostalgic of my childhood. It reminds me of every cheesecake my mom made when I was little. It’s decadent, but not as rich and dense as the “New York Style Cheesecake.” The greek yogurt makes it light and airy, while the raspberries add some natural sweetness and color.
There are three important things you need to remember:
1. A springform pan (with removable sides) is ideal. You don’t want the cake falling apart!
2. Cool the crust completely before adding the filling. Also, cool the cheesecake completely before cutting it.
3. Don’t eat the whole cake all at once. It’s tempting, but resist the urge.
- 1/2 Cup unsalted pecans
- 1/2 Cup graham cracker crumbs (no partially hydrogenated oils!)
- 4 Tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- sprayable olive oil
- 2 Cups vanilla nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese packet
- 1/4 Cup white sugar
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Cup frozen raspberries
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pulse 1/2 Cup pecans in a food processor until they turn into flour.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons coconut oil in the microwave (approximately 1 minute).
- Combine the 1/2 Cup pecans, 1/2 Cup graham cracker crumbs, and 4 Tablespoons coconut oil in a medium bowl. Mix with a spatula until the pecans and graham crackers are completely covered in coconut oil.
- Spray a round springform pan (with a 9 1/2 diameter) with olive oil, including the sides.
- Carefully press the crust onto the bottom of the springform with a spatula.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. (I put mine in the freezer to speed up the process)
For the cheesecake
- Add 2 Cups vanilla greek yogurt, 1 package of cream cheese, 1/4 Cup sugar, 4 eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer on high until everything is well-combined.
- Heat 1 Cup of frozen raspberries in the microwave until defrosted.
- Mush them with a fork.
- Add 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour to the raspberries and stir until well-combined.
- Add the raspberries to the greek yogurt filling, but don’t stir!
- Pour the cheesecake filling onto the crust. Now you can use a fork to make designs with the raspberries, if you want.
- Bake the cake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes, until the center has set.
- Allow it to cool completely before serving. (Again, the freezer/refrigerator is awesome for this)
- BE CAREFUL when you remove the cake from the springform pan! Very careful!
- Serve and enjoy 🙂